A simple recipe for beef bones with little to no meat, such as marrow or knuckle bones.
Recipe for a 6 quart crock pot.
- 2 pounds Pasture Grazed Beef Bones
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 medium onion quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher/sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper or whole peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley
- 10 cups filtered cold water
- Place all ingredients in 6 quart crock pot. Add water. Bring to boil over high heat; reduce to low and simmer gently for 24 to 48 hours (longer is better). Skimming fat if you feel necessary. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Discard solids and strain remainder in a bowl through a colander. In addition we strained through cheese cloth to remove all solids. Let stock cool to room temperature, cover and chill. A small skim of fat formed on surface. Doug removed this fat and used with his bullet proof coffee.
- Will keep in fridge for a number of weeks and freezer for months.